Monday, April 22, 2013

Here's to you, baby Robinson number two!

Yes, the Robinson family is about to expand by two little feet! We found out at the end of January that we are expecting baby number two, and I'm in my 15th week of pregnancy. I've been a little anxious this time around, which would be why we haven't made this quite as big of a deal as last time. I'm not sure if it's the fact that we actually had to try to get pregnant this time (Tyler was our pleasant little surprise), or because I know what can go wrong in a pregnancy thanks to our scare last time, or because I'm sort of freaked out that we will soon have TWO children at once, but I've been a nervous nelly for the last three months.

So to catch you up, we found out I was pregnant and unlike last time, I didn't have a single symptom of pregnancy when I tested. I basically just tested because I was anxious to know if we'd finally succeeded haha. But of course I was nervous because I wasn't having symptoms so my midwife went ahead and did a 48 hour HCG blood test. They take your blood and measure the amount of pregnancy hormone (HCG) in your blood, then take your blood 48 hours later and ensure it at least doubles in that time. Mine more than doubled so that calmed my fear for the time, but then when I was about 6 weeks pregnant I started having pain on one side of my pelvis. Yet again, I worried. They did an ultrasound to make sure the pregnancy was in the right place, and not in my tube, and I thankfully saw our little peanut in my uterus, with his/her heart beating right away. The ultrasound tech said it probably had just started beating THAT week. Crazy!!!

Since then I had my 8 week appointment, which was a nurse educator appointment and completely pointless because I'm pretty well educated on pregnancy having been pregnant before and slightly obsessed with it haha. We were supposed to go in 4 weeks later but had to push our appointment back due to Jordon's crazy tennis schedule, and the fact that we're still seeing my midwives in Harrisonburg even though we live 2.5 hours away. So I was very anxious to hear our baby's heartbeat again, and finally got to this past Friday at 14 weeks.

This pregnancy has been fairly similar to my last, but definitely has it's differences. Although I was symptom-free for the first week, my morning sickness kicked in about a week earlier than last time and was, I believe, worse. Jordon says I just don't remember last time, or having to chase Tyler around while sick makes it worse, but I'm pretty sure it was just worse in general. I definitely threw up a lot more this time... there was a period of 10 days where I lost my dinner EVERY night. Ugh. It makes me sick just blogging about it haha. The morning sickness lasted a little longer as well. In fact, I'm still a little nauseous at night (definitely not the extent that I was thank goodness) and in the past couple days I've had a little relapse of my all day sickness, so I'm hoping soon enough it will all pass.

At first, my fatigue didn't really seem as pronounced as it did last time, but I'm pretty sure that was because I'm used to being tired all the time thanks to Tyler, and I just didn't have the option to be overly-tired because I had to take care of my son. However, more recently the exhaustion has really gotten to me and my body is really feeling the toll of pregnancy. Last pregnancy I was able to get back to running at this point of pregnancy, but this time when I just take Tyler for a walk or go to the grocery store, my body is just exhausted. I've been getting a little light-headed and feel like my blood pressure or sugar is low and it is just not fun! I mentioned it to my midwife and she said it's probably just exhaustion from taking care of a toddler at the same time as growing a baby, so she's not worried.

My pregnancy probably couldn't have come at a worse time, because Jordon was in the midst of tennis season during my entire first trimester. So while dealing with fatigue and nausea, I had to take care of Tyler alllllll day and deal with Jordon being gone :-( NOT fun. The day after tennis season officially ended, I spent almost the entire day on the couch while Jordon entertained Tyler. Totally deserved.

And as for my little boy (who will ALWAYS be my little baby)... he is just SO big. He has so much personality and is so much fun to be around. I can't believe how much I love him. He is still obsessed with dogs, however he now calls them "woof" instead of "da." He's also obsessed with balls... "ball" is one of the 5 or 6 words he actually says consistently. He is so smart and great at listening. He'll throw a piece of trash away in trashcan if you ask, picks up his toys, will lay down for you to change him if you tell him and helps put the laundry in and out of the machines. He's been a great eater and will eat anything we eat (which is occasionally annoying when this pregnant momma doesn't want to share, but I'll do anything for my boy). We told him that mommy has a baby in her belly and I think he sort of understands. He'll give my belly hugs and kisses and will bring toys over to it too, which is precious, but occasionally I'll ask about the baby and he'll point to HIS belly button. Hmmm. Not quite! But I guess I shouldn't expect too much from a 21 month old haha. I think he'll be excited to have a sibling though. He loves to see the babies in the nursery at church and in our family, so he should be pumped to have one of his very own.

So before this blog becomes a novel, I'll end the update here. I'm exhausted and this pregnant momma needs her rest!

No comments:

Post a Comment