Saturday, October 22, 2011

I Think I've Become a Lactivist

Lactivism (portmanteau of "lactation" and "activism") is a term used to describe the advocacy of breastfeeding.[1] Supporters, referred to as "lactivists", seek to promote the health benefits of breastfeeding over formula-feeding and to ensure that nursing mothers are not discriminated against.

Yup, that's me. When I first got pregnant, there wasn't any question in my mind that I would breastfeed my baby. When I actually started and realized that it is a look hard than it looks, me initial goal was to make it 6 weeks. Although I fully intended on breastfeeding the Ty man longer than that, I knew I needed to make a short term goal in order to feel like I could do it. So after much trouble with my supply from loosing weight, introducing a bottle a little too early and the craziness of moving, Tyler and I got into a groove and officially surpassed our 6 week goal. And then I decided my next benchmark would be 12 weeks/3 months and what do ya know, we're here! Yay! And although I fully intend on breastfeeding Tyler for a long while, my next goal is 6 months. I think we can do it ;-)

The more I read and learn about the benefits of breastfeeding, the more excited I get about my decision. Did you know breastfed babies are at a decreased risk of childhood cancers, SIDS, ear infections and respiratory disease? And by breastfeeding Tyler I am decreasing my risk of pre-menopausal breast and ovarian cancers, UTIs and osteoporosis. Plus, I can eat as much as Michael Phelps and still loose weight. Win. Even formula companies know the breast is best. I was taking out a can of formula we had gotten at the hospital with other samples after baby was born to put with the canned foods we're giving to the food shelter, and I noticed the can said "Experts agree breastfeeding is best." Boom.

So now, not only am I a crazy vegetarian and natural birth advocate, I'm a lactivist.

And while we're on my favorite subject of breastfeeding, let me tell you how much I LOVE my new pump! Thanks to everyone who voted for me and helped me win it! It has a rechargeable battery which is uber convenient. Last Saturday Jordon and I went to a wedding and I was away from Ty man for 5 hours (don't get me started on that!) and needed to pump. Well I just hooked myself up in the car and pumped under my dress... pretty funny actually. There was a police car two cars behind us, and I told Jordon it would be hilarious if he pulled us over only to find me pumping away in the front seat. He didn't pull us over though. Hilarious/awkward moment avoided.

Anyways, I love my new pump and have been getting tons of use out of it, however Tyler just hates the bottle. He used to take it like a champ, but I unknowingly sabotaged his bottle-taking abilities by exclusively breastfeeding him for a week and ever since he hasn't wanted anything to do with the bottle! So right now I have over 100 oz. of frozen breast milk in my freezer and a stubborn child. Sigh. Hopefully we can persuade him one of these days...

Other news on the Tyler front: today is his 3 month birthday! yay! And this morning he decided to celebrate by rolling over! I just about screamed when it happened, like I had won the lottery or something. We tried to get him to do it again and he tried and was so close, but I think he was tired out and wouldn't do it again. We'll try tomorrow.

On Wednesday I went to the doctor because I had been feeling super tired and thought maybe my thyroid was slowing down (because I already have hypothyroidism) but apparently it was super-duper overactive! My goodness does pregnancy take a toll on the body! It isn't uncommon for a women to have hyPERthyroidism in the first 3 months after pregnancy then go into a state of hyPOthyroidism after that, so I have an appointment with an endocrinologist in December to see if mine will flip again. And my back has been killing me every since I was pregnant, specifically my upper back (what pregnant woman has UPPER back pain?!) so I went and saw a chiropractor. She said my joints had been irritated during my pregnancy which caused the muscles in my back to spasm. So now I'm seeing her 3x a week for therapy and adjustments, which has helped a ton. I have never been to a chiropractor, so it was a very new experience for me. When she adjusts my neck and back, you would not believe how much they crack! And now Jordon is going to because #1 he is obsessed with cracking his back/neck/my fingers/anything else that can crack, and #2 he gets treated for free because he a coach at the college and our doctor is contracted by the college. Jordon told me my new hobby is going to see doctors because I'm so bored staying at home haha. I just think pregnancy has left me a little worst for the wear ;-)

Right now Jordon and I are eagerly awaiting baby's first Halloween! we're going to search for a costume for him tomorrow, so wish us luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment