Wednesday, January 5, 2011

11 Weeks

Eleven weeks down, twenty-nine to go. sigh. Too long! The worst thing about pregnancy this week has been this awful cold that has me miserable! One New Year's Day I woke up with a scratchy throat, which then progressed to sore throat with a side of headache. The next day we added some stuffy nose into the mix which made sleeping awful. Because my nose was so stuffy, I'd wake up multiple times during the night because I was breathing through my mouth, making my throat dry and even more sore. So for the next few days my sore throat would not cease because my nose is more stuffed than a Thanksgiving Day turkey. And then, to top it off, yesterday I started to have chest congestion and it feels like there is a 2 pound weight on my chest, which doesn't seem like a lot, but who wants a weight on their chest while they sleep? This all leads me to the fact that here I am, at 3am, awake because I am just too darn uncomfortable to sleep and I know the moment I fall asleep I will wake up with an awful sore throat.

What makes it all worse is that I can't take anything for it. Boy what I wouldn't give for 2 NyQuil gelcaps. My OB said I could take Sudafed, but I've read things that caution pregnant women, especially in the first trimester, from taking it because it constricts you blood vessels (thus potentially restricting blood flow to Baby Robinson). Plus, almost all cold medicines are "Category C" medicines meaning that they may pose a risk to the baby, but if the benefits outweigh the risks, the mother should take them. Well, does my stuffy nose, sore throat, and lack of sleep outweigh the risk of potentially compromising my baby's blood flow? Talk about learning to sacrifice ;-)

On a lighter note, my nausea has definitely been subsiding. I am still nauseous sporadically during the day, more so at night because that has always been the worse. However, I am not tossing my cookies any longer, which is wonderful because I can now eat dinner without the knowledge that it will be coming up within the next hour. I'm hoping by the end of my first trimester I will be free of the poorly-named "morning sickness." And then I can finally get back to all of my normal activities (what I wouldn't give for a nice half hour run sans throwing up!).

And the further along I get, the more real the pregnancy has started to feel. I know it will feel even more real when my baby "pooch" finally transforms into a baby "bump" but I settle for the time being. Jordon and I are so excited to find out the sex of the baby, but we still have 9 more weeks before that. We're thinking it's a boy, as are so many people we've talked to, however my mother says since everyone thinks it will be a boy, it will end up being a girl. So we'll just have to wait and see who's "mother's intuition" will be correct!

No comments:

Post a Comment